iFelix Blog

Find out more about what I am making and news from the web as it happens, click here.

This page was last updated on the 1 January, 2007


Desert Gaming Boards

Having had the polystyrene sheets for some time hanging around in the garage.

I have decided to take the time to build the scenery I always meant to.

I have eight of these sheets (four to a pack) the first four were covered in a GW grass mat and pictures can be seen on the battle reports on the website.

With the remaining four, two will be a desert terrain usable with both Epic and 28mm and the other will be an Epic half-destroyed Imperial City.

The first thing I did was seal the sides using gaffer tape (sometimes known as duct tape).

Each sheet got two strips of black tape, this has two jobs, one to protect the scenery from everyday knocks and two to have the *gap* between the sheets to be black and not glaring white.

Using small rocks and pebbles from the garden these were glued to the board in a random manner using PVA (white glue).

scenery tiles

I stuck down some ripped up textured wallpaper.

scenery tiles

You can see the cork bark I used in these pictures.

scenery tiles

I then used a polyfilla white glue (PVA) mix to seal down the edges. Then I used a mix of water, PVA and polyflla, I spread it over the boards before scattering GW sand mix over the boards.

scenery tiles

Alas I ran out half way through the second board, so this first board looks quite good in comparison...

scenery tiles

I then made a mistake.

When Citadel released their first incarnation of Roughcoat it was mentioned in the literature that it was water-based so wouldn't melt expanded polystyrene.

That first incarnation sold well and I never managed to get a can, then I heard from one GW store that it had been withdrawn as the nozzle would clog after using it just once and they had had quite a few complaints.

When it was re-released I got a can, but just assumed it was still water-based...

It's not!

After spraying my scenery tiles, I noticed the other day that they had melted...

Luckily it wasn't too bad and might actually add to the effect I am trying with the scenery, I will take some photographs later.

more soon